Waste Management today launched our sustainability strategy called For Future Generations which provides the foundation for the future sustainability of our company and the communities in which we operate across New Zealand.
In developing For Future Generations, Waste Management engaged external and internal stakeholders to identify those issues considered material for us to address in order to be sustainable for the future.
From this process, five programme areas and 13 projects were identified as being key to improving our sustainability.
Tom Nickels, Waste Management Managing Director, says “For many years we have understood the critical role we play in safeguarding our future. Formalising this into a public document that identifies key programme areas is an important step, and we commit to reporting our progress on these annually”.
The five programme areas
- Our Environment reflects a continuation of our efforts in protecting and enhancing the environment.
- Our Communities reflects the expressed desire from our stakeholders that our communities are wanting to make better choices around waste – but they would like our help, knowledge and expertise to do this.
- Our Customers recognises the increasing importance of waste and environmental services to our customers.
- Our People addresses the importance of our Waste Management team in making us a sustainable company into the future.
- Our Business reflects the essential and enduring nature of the services we provide.
We have linked each of these programme areas to the UN Sustainable Development Goals, ensuring we are positively influencing achievement of these global goals as well as creating value for our business and stakeholders.
“At this particular time, with significant challenges in terms of addressing climate change and volatility in the global recycling market, we are acutely aware of the responsibility we have to ensure the sustainability of our business for the future benefit to New Zealand,” says Nickels.
We look forward to providing updates on the projects within this strategy as we seek to improve the sustainability of this beautiful country.
To find out more visit our For Future Generations website or follow For Future Generations on Facebook for updates.